Thursday, October 25, 2012

a link on a stormy morning

River Grise (often a totally dry riverbed - photo this morning)
We woke up to a third day of cool temps, gray skies, and rain. This is almost unheard of here.

(Today) Thursday is Prenatal day, we're expecting a very low turnout.

The hundreds and thousands living a mile away in tents are most certainly exhausted. How do you sleep when everything you own is soaking wet? Where do you put your baby to sleep when water runs under your feet and all around you?

When I think about the way it feels to wear wet clothes and how quickly I want out of them and into dry/clean clothes ... Then to realize that there is no shelter from the wetness and no dry change of clothing to be found - I'm mortified. Truthfully, thousands of people have no option but to wait for this rain and cold to end.

I cannot imagine what it is to be that vulnerable.

The last six weeks have been weeks of lament in my heart and soul. When I get stuck like this, I have a hard time turning to God. The song/lyrics I posted this morning communicates to me, and for me. 

So, God of the universe 
Do you hear the cries
That pour out from all the earth? 

Can your hands of glory reach down and heal the hurt of the broken? 
And God of eternal things - will you give us eyes to see all the light you bring? 
Will you be the voice that causes our hearts to sing for the broken? 
Can we fall in love again for the first time? 
God of the universe when we hear the cries that pour out from all the earth will you give us hands to reach out and heal the hurt of the broken? 


This post is challenging, please read it with an open heart.