Friday, March 23, 2007

Happy 17th Birthday Britt!

Tara and I started dating near the middle of October many moons ago. Britt was a very precocious six-year-old. In an attempt to warm up to her and her mother, I spent the first two weeks of our relationship(s) working on a Halloween costume for Britt to wear for her big parade and party at school. We used a combination of cardboard boxes, poster board, paint, glue, and foam cushions to make an amazing replica of a McDonald's French Fry box for her costume. Her head came out of the top with the fries and her arms stuck out the sides...oh how I wish I had a picture to show. It was a thing of beauty. Tara learned just how much of a perfectionist I can be and what an accomplished artist I am as well....ok, she never said that - but the words "anal-retentive" were thrown around a bit, and I take that as a compliment. At least 20 man hours went into the final product.

Britt was a little slow in warming up to me, and I had high hopes that this costume was going to be a breakthrough in our relationship. There is one picture in existence of the masterpiece, but unfortunately we don't have it here in Haiti. The picture shows her cute face all curled up into a scowl and her arms (barely reaching each other around the fry box) crossed in front of her. She was standing in the entrance of her elementary school refusing to go into the 1st Grade classroom out of embarrasment and shame at what we were putting her through. The picture was taken shortly before she burst into tears and we had to get her out of the costume and pack it back into the car. That fry box never saw the light of day. Rockford Elementary never knew what they were missing.



After that miserable failure at impressing her, things have only gotten better...I hope.

Britt - One of my greatest joys has been getting to know you and love you...and watching in awe as you have grown from an amazing intelligent beautiful little girl into an amazing intelligent beautiful young woman. Happy Birthday, we couldn't be more proud of you.

-Dad


Hey Britt-
Happy Birthday! I love you. I am anxious to watch and see what God will do as you seek Him to make so many big decisions in the upcoming year. We will be behind you praying and cheering for you. ~Mom

For last years Birthday story go here.