Monday, April 04, 2011

Franchette & Sadrack

Franchette and Sadrack

Anyone following Haiti news or any Haiti blog for very long will figure out that this can be a difficult and complicated place.  Sometimes when I write a sentence like that I ask myself how it will land on a Haitian person reading.  I ask if it is my perception or close to reality. I think most Haitian people would agree that their lives are difficult and complicated ... yet they find joy in spite of that.

 The challenges faced here by the vast majority of the population are mind-numbing and heart breaking. (So, to review if you didn't catch that - if you are around for very long both your head and your heart will hurt.)

Because it is hard and because sometimes the things you hope and pray for don't happen; you must grab onto the good things and hold them tightly; hold them high for all to see. 

This is my attempt to hold high the beautiful, amazingly peaceful birth of Franchette and Sadrack's son on Friday night.  It is important to know that Franchette lost her only other child to illness when he was 18 months old.
Franchette labored like nobody I've ever witnessed. She was composed, dignified, strong, peaceful, focused, and brave. 

Toward the end where most women (myself included) start cussing and hating on anyone and everyone, and begging for death, Franchette began to ask for her husband to come in to see her.

She kept calling "dah" and while Kreyol is a work in slow progress for me, most of us didn't think "dah" was a Kreyol word.  As it turns out she calls her husband by the nickname Dah.

He came in and got woozy within about four nanoseconds but he was in long enough to give short pep talks and mention that when the pushing time came she should push because he really wanted to see the baby. She didn't take him down for saying he wanted to see the baby.  She is far too gracious. She asked Dah to pray. We all prayed together. 

At the very end of the laboring time Franchette began to sing in Kreyol a song that translates "All I need is you Lord, All I need is You." She sang that little song to soothe herself.  It was beautiful and most of us needed to pull out the bottom of our eyelids to keep the tears from escaping.

In the room filled with joy and love we had a team of really excited and invested Heartline peeps ready to welcome a new life into the world. There were three American nurse/midwives, an amazing Haitian nurse, and two of us more regular people without fancy titles.

As it turns out one of the midwives allowed one of us without a fancy title (me!) to help catch the baby. I've been at about 25 births in a support role, but this was the first time I ever got to have my hands in the action.  

The other photos are so amazing but maybe too private to share without asking Franchette for permission first -- but let me just say: holy-cow-was-that-way-so-nutty-when-I-was-holding-the head-of-a-baby-still-inside-of-his-mother-wOw-wow-heartpounding-wow!

And ... As long as I'm saying that, I should also say, a huge Thank-you to Franchette for demonstrating a peaceful trust in Jesus, a love for Him and faith that He can and does help when you ask.

Once her 7lb 14 ounce baby boy was safely delivered Franchette enthusiastically and repeatedly gave thanks to God for all He had done. 

Welcome little one. 
Mesi Senye.Thank-you Lord.