Friday, May 26, 2006

On the Journey with God

Photo Credit: Scott Tanner, taken on a hike to Petit Bwa, May 2006


The things that Jesus did were of the most menial and commonplace order, and this is an indication that it takes all God's power in me to do the most commonplace things in His way...All the ordinary sordid things of our lives reveal more quickly than anything what we are made of.

You do not know what you are going to do; the only thing you know is that God knows what He is doing...It is this attitude that keeps you in perperual wonder--you do not know what God is going to do next.
-OSWALD CHAMBERS, My Utmost for His Highest, 1935

I believe that nothing that happens to me is meaningless, and that it is good for us all that it should be so, even if it runs counter to our own wishes. As I see it, I'm here for some purpose, and I only hope I may fulfill it. In the light of the great purpose all our privations and disappointments are trivial.
-DIETRICH BONHOEFFER, Letters and Papers From Prion, 1943-1944